The property located at 590 East International Speedway Boulevard in DeLand, Florida has a long history of industrial use. Stainless steel syringe needles and aluminum syringe hubs were manufactured onsite beginning in the 1940s and early 1950s. Manufacturing continued in several buildings until 1960 when operations were moved to a new facility located a few miles to the east.
Building G, as the property is generally known, refers to a building constructed in 1958 and used first for manufacturing and then later for storage. In 1986, most of the buildings onsite were destroyed by fire leaving only Building G and the remaining concrete foundations. Building G was later demolished and today the property is essentially vacant.
Site investigations began on the property in 1992 and led to the discovery of volatile organic compound (VOC) impacts in soil and groundwater, including tetrachloroethene (PCE), trichloroethene (TCE), cis-1,2-dichloroethene (cis-1,2-DCE), and vinyl chloride (VC).
In 1996, an air sparging system was installed to address soil and groundwater impacts in the upper surficial aquifer. In 2009, the system was shut down, and further studies identified the need to address impacts in the deeper Floridan aquifer.
Following a series of ownership changes, today the property is owned by Wyeth LLC. Wyeth is implementing a voluntary site investigation and remediation program with oversight by FDEP.